For one serving
- 1 cup of water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup coarsely ground emmer wheat
Bring water to boil, stir in emmer, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add milk, honey and enjoy!
Whole Wheat Banana Bread
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 ripe bananas
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Grind emmer wheat into 1 2/3 cups whole wheat flour.
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Lightly grease an 8 ½ inch x 4 ½ inch loaf pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place egg, butter, milk, bananas, and vanilla into a blender in the order listed.
- Blend until everything is mixed well.
- In a large-size mixing bowl, combine the baking powder, sugar and whole wheat flour by hand, stir well.
- Pour banana mixture into the bowl containing the dry ingredients.
- Mix by hand JUST until dry ingredients are moistened. Do not overmix!
- Gently stir chopped nuts into batter.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack 30 minutes, then carefully remove loaf pan and allow to cool completely before slicing.
Chicken and Emmer Wheat Casserole
- 2-3 cups cooked emmer wheat
- 2 cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, or 2-3 cups leftover chicken
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas (thawed)
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese (divided)
- 2 cups diced mixed vegetables (carrots, celery and onion)
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup milk
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- Black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl combine the cooked wheat, chicken, peas and ¼ cup of the cheese.
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the diced carrots, celery and onions.
- Cook until vegetables are softened.
- Add the flour and stir, mix with vegetables well, but don’t let the flour burn.
- Add milk to pan and stir to your preferred thickness. You may need to turn up the heat.
- Add ½ cup of cheese, garlic powder, salt and black pepper to the sauce. Stir and taste, adjust seasoning as needed.
- Grease an 8x8 casserole dish and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the sauce to the rest of the ingredients in the large bowl.
- Stir until everything is mixed together.
- Pour everything into the greased casserole dish, cover with aluminum foil and put into the oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes.